Gold plated jewelry is very popular at the moment, and so I thought it would be interesting for you guys to tell you a little bit about gold plating and what to look for when buying gold plated jewelry.
There are three things to look for when buying gold plated jewelry:
1)The pureness of the gold layer,
2)Which base material has been used to put the gold layer on,
3)The thickness of the gold layer.
1. The pureness of the gold layer largely dictates the color of the gold plated item. With 14kt gold being the lightest, almost white gold color and 24kt being the darkest deep yellow gold color.
2. The base materials can differ, some companies choose for a gold-colored metal to make it harder to see if the gold plated layer chips away. Most high-end jewelry companies, however, go with at least 925 sterling silver as a base metal because the gold layer can be put directly on the silver without having to use nickel.
3. Lastly and most importantly the thickness of the gold layer, measured in micron. (1 micron is 0.001 mm, or about 0.000039 inch) The thickness will dictate how long your gold-plated jewelry will last. Because gold is so expensive, and its price keeps rising, a lot of companies will plate their jewelry with a very thin layer, between 0.1 and 0.5 micron. Often, they will not mention their gold plating thickness at all! Gold plating of this quality can be gone within a year. So be sure that you know what you are paying for.
HOW WE DO IT
We want our bracelets to last much longer than that, to truly provide our customers with a premium quality piece. To do that we have improved our gold plating by going from a 0.5-micron 18kt gold layer to a 3-micron 24kt gold layer.
Our new gold plated bracelets will meet two criteria, according to US and EU standards and regulations.
1) Heavy Gold Plated Beads (given for a thickness of 2.5-micron or more)
2) Vermeil-Beads (given for items with 925 sterling silver or higher as base metal covered with at least 2.5-micron gold plating)
So our gold plated bracelets will be among the highest quality pieces of jewelry you can find.
The advantages of our new gold plated bracelets:
* 24kt gold layer for a deep, rich gold color
* 3-mircon gold layer thickness, a layer that will last you for years
* 950 sterling silver base metal, to give you the highest quality beads (other than pure gold)
We expect to have our new batch of gold-plated bracelets in our store by the end of June.